This apple muffin cake is fruity, nutty and sweet – and you can make it easily at home in your rice cooker!
Preparation 15 minutes
Cooking 140 minutes
Ingredients below are for a 5.5-cup cooker.
1 cup whole wheat flour or all purpose flour
⅓ cup sugar sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup skim milk or oat milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¼ cup olive oil
1 cup diced apples
¼ chopped walnuts
½ cup diced bananas
- Spray the rice cooker inner bowl with cooking spray.
- Mix the dry ingredients – flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon, and salt – in a bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the milk, cinnamon, vanilla extract, egg, and oil.
- Add the dry flour mixture to the wet mixture and mix well to combine.
- Add the apples, bananas, and walnuts and fold into the mixture.
- Pour the mixture in the rice cooker inner pot and tap the pot on the counter a couple of times to remove excess bubbles.
- Close the lid and select the [Slow Cook] function. Set the timer to 120 minutes. Press start.
- Turn the rice cooker off and wait about 20 minutes to let the pot cool down.
- Using oven mitts or a kitchen towel (the pot will still be hot so be careful), take the inner pot out of the rice cooker and place a plate on top. Carefully flip the pot so the muffin cake falls onto the plate. Serve.
WHAT IS AN APPLE MUFFIN CAKE?
Simply put: this rice cooker cake tastes like an apple muffin.
There are the substantive additions you’d expect to see in a muffin/cake like diced apples and chopped walnuts that impart tart flavor and a bit of texture in the otherwise sweet and soft cake.
Cinnamon and vanilla do their delicious dance in the cake batter and compliment the sweetness of the sugar – without sending the whole thing into cloying territory.
But, from our perspective, the star of this muffin cake (that you may or may not notice in a meaningful way) is actually the small amount of diced bananas that get added to the batter.
Aside from their smooth, sweet tropical flavor, bananas fortify this apple muffin cake with moisture.
You’ll love how springy and light this rice cooker dessert is – and how easy it is to make from scratch at home!
HOW TO MAKE APPLE MUFFIN CAKE IN A RICE COOKER
We’ve got detailed, step-by-step instructions in the directions tab for making apple muffin cake batter at the top of this page.
However, before you add the batter to the inner pot of your Tiger multifunctional rice cooker, you’ll want to be sure to use some cooking spray so the cake doesn’t stick.
Once the surface is prepped and your cake batter is good to go, add it to the rice cooker’s inner pot.
Pro tip: place a soft dish towel on your kitchen counter and lightly tap the inner pot on the counter a couple of times to release any large air bubbles in your batter.
Place it back in the rice cooker, close the lid and select the Slow Cook setting for 70 minutes.
We think this apple muffin cake will be a huge hit with you and your family!
Check out these other delicious and easy dessert recipes you can make in your rice cooker: