We have a seriously soft spot in our hearts for the humble California roll.
Whether sitting down to a fancy dinner in a Japanese restaurant, or just grabbing a quick bite on our lunch-break, chances are we’ll order up at least one order of these yummy Western influenced sushi rolls.
Fun fact: A sushi roll in Japanese is called maki.
Now, if you’ve ever wondered how to make sushi rolls at home, please feel free to use the video on this page as a general blueprint. And, if you’ve ever wondered how to make California rolls at home, follow the steps to the letter. You’ll be so happy you did!
Ingredients for sushi rice
- 3 cups cooked Japanese rice
- 40 ml rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for rolls
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- ¼ English cucumber
- 1 avocado
- ¼ pound imitation crab
- 3 nori (dried seaweed) sheets
- Sesame seeds
*Use gluten free imitation crab or real crab and gluten free soy sauce for a complete gluten free recipe.
- Place cooked rice in a container and add rice vinegar, sugar and salt. Mix well.
- Wrap bamboo mat with plastic wrap and have a bowl of water mixed with a little rice vinegar on the side.
- Lay a nori sheet with the shiny side facing down on the bamboo mat. Add 1 cup of rice to the center of the nori sheet and wet your fingers with vinegar water.
- Spread the rice using your fingers, evenly across the nori sheet.
- Sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds onto the rice evenly across.
- Turn the nori sheet over so the rice is facing down. Move the nori sheet close to the edge of the bottom of the bamboo mat.
- Add a little mayonnaise across the nori sheet (from left to right) and top with cucumber, avocado and imitation crab. Each ingredients should form a line across (don’t overcrowd the roll).
- Grab the bottom edges of the mat with your thumbs and hold on to the toppings with your other fingers.
- Roll into a tight cylinder and lift the edges of the bamboo mat to prevent it from rolling into the roll together with the filling. The mat should look like the letter C from the side as you roll forward. Keep rolling forward using a little pressure and let go when the roll is done.
- Cut the roll in half and then into thirds.
- Serve with soy sauce and wasabi.
WHAT IS IN A CALIFORNIA ROLL (カリフォルニアロール)
There’s just something about the combination of creamy avocado, crab (imitation or real) and cucumber that is greater than the sum of its parts.
And we’d be remiss if we didn’t mention the thin seaweed sheets (or nori).
But, the secret weapon in this California roll recipe can sometimes seem like a bit of an unsung hero: sushi rice!
HOW TO MAKE SUSHI RICE
To make perfect sushi rice, make sure you are using short grain Japanese rice. Rinse well before cooking! As for cooking times and water measurements, your Tiger multi cooker has cooking presets that will take care of the heavy lifting here.
Once your sushi rice is cooked, make sure to cool and mix in the appropriate amounts of rice vinegar, sugar and salt (all measurements can be found in the video and under the ingredients tab).
Now, you’re ready to roll!
Another delicious option when making sushi rolls at home is to make a SPICY California roll. It’s just as easy – and packs a zesty punch.
To add a little fire, simply mix 1 tablespoon sriracha with 1 tablespoon mayonnaise and drizzle on top of your finished California rolls. YUM! 🔥