Going to the grocery store with a short shopping list is pretty awesome, right!?
And we think you’ll agree that it’s the absolute best when a minimal ingredients list results in a recipe so packed with savory and garden fresh flavors that your diners assume you spent the better part of the afternoon working on dinner.
Well, your secret is safe with us, chef. No one has to know that making this tomato rice recipe with fresh steamed clams required very little in the way of time or effort.
Hey, this rice cooker tomato rice may just make it into your regular dinner rotation!
Ingredients below are for a 5.5-cup cooker. Double the ingredients for a 10-cup cooker.
- 3 cups Rice (supplied measuring cup)
- 1/2 lbs (250g) Clam
- 1/2 cup (100ml) White wine
- 1 Tomato
- 4 Basil leaves
- 1 Chicken soup stock cube
- Place the clams and white wine in a pan, cover the lid and steam until the shells open. When the shells open, take out the clam meat. Strain and save the soup extracted during the steaming.
- Remove the stems from the tomatoes and boil in hot water for 10 seconds. Strain and place in cold water and peel the skin.
Then cut it horizontally and remove the seeds.
- Cut the tomato into bite-size pieces and chop the basil coarsely.
- Place the washed rice in the inner pot and add the clam soup and chicken soup stock cube. Add water up to level 3 of the scale for “Ultra” (level 6 for the 10-cup cooker) and mix well. Add the chopped tomatoes. Select the “Mixed” menu and press the Start/Rinse-free] key.
- When cooking is complete, mix the rice with the clam meat and basil. Place the dish on a serving plate.
HOW TO STEAM OPEN CLAMS
While it may seem a little intimidating the first time you steam open fresh clams at home, don’t worry! It’s super easy. You’ve totally got this!
Before steaming, we like to check for any damaged or broken shells. If you find any, toss those out. Then give your clams a good soak in cold water with a bit of non-iodized salt. This helps to loosen any grit from the shells.
Once drained, ad a bit of white wine to a wok or pan, place your clams in – top with a lid and steam until the shells open. After steaming, if you’re left with clams that didn’t open, it’s probably best to toss those in the trash.
Now, there are detailed instructions and ingredient amounts for making this fresh tomato rice with clams recipe in the side tab on this page.
And we think you’re going to love how easy the next step is!
HOW TO MAKE TOMATO RICE IN A RICE COOKER
Your rice cooker is the perfect kitchen appliance for this easy clam and tomato rice recipe.
And all you have to do is used the Mixed setting – and cook with the press of a button!
Once it’s done, mix in the clams and some fresh basil. YUM!
Rice and tomatoes go together, hand-in-hand. And fresh clams impart the briny essence of the sea to this garden fresh rice and tomato recipe.
While it’s not common for a dinner this delicious to be so easy to make, we’re sure you’ll love it for those exact reasons 🍲😋