Making hearty soups is always a good choice when we want to serve our family something healthy and filling, but without having to spend a long time in the kitchen.
This hearty lentil soup is one of those recipes we can’t stop making for its simplicity and because both kids and adults love it.
How to Make Lentil Soup
You will need the Slow Cook function on your rice cooker to make this recipe.
Start by chopping the vegetables and mincing the garlic. Then add all of the ingredients to the rice cooker inner pot.
Select the Slow Cook function, set the timer to 60 minutes and press start. That’s it, you are done cooking! This lentil soup can be served as a starter, though we prefer it as a main (because of its hearty component) along with a warm baguette and some butter. It’s so delicious!
- The vegetables we have selected for this recipe can easily be swapped for others such as celery, bell pepper, turnip, or sweet potato.
- Adding freshly chopped spinach brightens up the dish and makes it even more nutritious.
- Cumin powder can be substituted for curry powder.
- No canned tomatoes in your pantry? No worries! Instead of 3 cups of water, use 4 1/2 cups of low sodium chicken broth.
How to Store Leftover Lentil Soup
For leftovers, simply transfer the soup to an airtight storage container and it will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
If you are a big fan of one pot meals, here are other recipes we think you will enjoy:
Hearty Lentil Soup
If you are looking for an easy and nutritious dinner that requires little prepping, give this hearty lentil soup a try! This is a one pot meal that’s perfect for busy days that leave little time to create elaborate meals.
- Put all the ingredients in the rice cooker inner pot and stir well.
- Close the lid and select the [Slow Cook] function. Set the timer for 60 minutes and press Start.
- Once complete, stir well before serving.
Ingredients below are for a 5.5-cup cooker.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 ½ cup brown or green lentils
- 1 14-ounce canned diced tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp curry powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste