Konbucha Noodle Soup
Lunch at work can be a bit of a mixed bag. No one likes spending $18 at the deli. And we’ve absolutely had it with sad desk salads!
Well, our healthy lunch obsession this year is noodle soup.
Sure, hearty noodles and healthy veggies in a warming savory broth sounds like a big time win at lunchtime. But, it’s kinda difficult to transport a hot soup recipe to work without those noodles and veggies turning to overcooked mush, right?
Aha! We’ve got a little hack for that! With a soup cup and a little hot water, you can create a noodle soup that has the convenience of instant noodles – but one that retains the quality of your favorite homemade soup recipe.
Let’s hear it for healthy soup!
- 35 grams vermicelli or saifun bean thread noodles
- 2 shiitake mushrooms (or button mushrooms), chopped
- 1 tablespoon shallots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup baby spinach (about 15-20 leaves), shredded
- 1/4 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon kombucha powder
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar (or 1 teaspoon for a more sour broth)
- 1 1/4 cup boiling water
- Put all the ingredients except for the boiling water in a soup cup and take it to work.
- Right before eating, use the water heater to pour the boiling water into the soup cup, stir and submerge the noodles.
- Wait 3-4 minutes or until the noodles have soften to eat.
WHAT IS KONBUCHA?
Konbu (kombu) is Japanese kelp that imparts a ton of the savory umami flavors you’ve come to expect from Japanese cuisine.
Konbucha (also called konbu-cha and kobu cha) is a Japanese kelp tea made by steeping kelp in hot water. And while you can drink it as a tea, it’s also great for flavoring food.
Now, if you don’t have time to steep your own kelp at home, you can totally use a powdered kombu-dashi and just add hot water (that’s what we do).
SO… NOT KOMBUCHA?
Nope. That’s something else.
While the etymology is kind of tough to decipher, kombucha is that fermented, slightly effervescent drink you’ll find at the health food store.
Delicious – but in a completely different way!
A HEALTHY NOODLE SOUP RECIPE YOU CAN TAKE TO WORK & SCHOOL
Like we said, a soup cup and hot water will save the day here! And if your office has a water boiler and dispenser, all the better! Just load all your ingredients – except the water – in your insulated food jar and toss it in your purse or briefcase.
When lunchtime rolls around, just add hot water, steep and you’ll be eating noodle soup that happens to be as healthy as it is delicious!
Just try to avoid the jealous looks from your hungry coworkers 😋