Which came first… The chicken or the egg?
No matter which you settle on as the answer to that age-old brain teaser, when it comes to this delicious oyakodon recipe, both the chicken AND the egg are integral components.
This is Japanese comfort food perfection. Let’s cook!
Ingredients below are for a 3-cup cooker.
- 2 cups (supplied measuring cup) of white rice
- 1/3 lbs chicken thigh (cut into small bite-size pieces)
- 1/4 cup onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp mirin
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 mitsuba (Japanese wild parsley)
- Put the chicken and onion in a bowl. Add the sauce and mix them well. Place on the tacook cooking plate, and pour the beaten egg evenly over the ingredients.
- Put the washed rice and water in the inner pan, and set in the rice cooker.
- Set the tacook cooking plate in the inner pan. Select the [Plain/Synchro-Cooking] menu and press the [Start] key.
- When cooking is complete, serve rice in a serving bowl. Place the ingredients of oyakodon on top of the rice and pour the sauce evenly. Sprinkle with mitsuba on top. Place an egg yolk in the center.
WHAT IS OYAKODON
Oyakodon (親子丼 – Oyako Donburi) is is a Japanese rice bowl topped with chicken that has been simmered with onions and egg.
A soy, mirin and sugar based broth lends the entire dish a savory sweetness that flavors not only the eggy mixture, but also eventually permeates the bed of rice underneath.
This comfort food dish is proof that you just can’t go wrong with simple, everyday ingredients like yummy chicken, egg and Japanese rice at dinnertime!
A direct translation of oyakodon is parent and child rice bowl. It’s a poetic nod to the fact that both chicken and egg are the star ingredients of this classic Japanese donburi recipe.
Fun fact: Chicken in Japanese is 鶏肉 (toriniku).
SOME OTHER DELICIOUS RICE BOWL RECIPES (DONBURI)
Donburi are Japanese rice bowl recipes that are topped with simmered meat, vegetables or seafood.
Aside from this simple oyakodon recipe, be sure to try:
We promise, you’ll love these delicious and easy donburi recipes!
HOW TO MAKE OYAKODON IN A RICE COOKER
Everyone around the dinner table will love how delicious these Japanese chicken and egg rice bowls taste. And you’ll love how easy they are to prepare using your rice cooker.
Just load your rice and water in the inner pot of your Tiger multicooker – and then place the chicken, egg and sauce in the Tacook cooking plate. When you use the Synchro-Cooking setting, your rice AND chicken will cook to perfection at the same time.
Minimal effort. Maximum reward 🍲
Oh, btw… you’ll also love the easy after-dinner clean-up! Just saying 😋