WHAT IS SPAM MUSUBI?
Spam musubi is a simple combination of cooked Japanese rice, topped with sliced Spam that has typically been pan-fried with a delicious sweet and savory Teriyaki-style glaze. A thin sheet of nori (seaweed) is wrapped around the outside to keep it all held together.
Sound delicious? Well it is! Spam and rice are definitely a dynamic duo in the realm of food pairings.
This yummy Hawaiian snack is sold at convenience stores all throughout the islands.
Now, if you were to say, hey, that sounds a lot like Japanese onigiri – you’d be totally right. You see, aside from the typical square shape of musubi with Spam, there’s no real difference between onigiri and musubi (or omusubi). They’re all Japanese rice balls at the end of the day.
HOW TO MAKE SPAM MUSUBI
Make your short grain Japanese rice like normal. Your Tiger rice cooker is totally up to the task 😋
Then simply pan-fry your sliced Spam until browned on both sides and add your soy sauce and mirin glaze (check the ingredients tab on this page for exact measurements).
We love using the Spam can as a mold for our rice and Spam layers.
Finally wrap the layers with a sheet or strip of nori and dig in!
And there’s nothing keeping you from adding a touch of extra flavor to your homemade Spam musubi creations. We’re huge fans of adding a dusting of furikake between the rice and Spam.
Oh… btw, Spam musubi with an egg is a glorious bit of snacking nirvana too.
Check out these other delicious and easy rice ball recipes:
No trip to Hawaii would be complete without a few Spam musubi finding their way into your belly! Well, we’ve got a simple Spam musubi recipe you can make at home. No air-miles required!
- Cook the rice with either the [PLAIN] or [QUICK] setting.
- Take spam out of can (save for later) and slice spam into eighths (approximately ½ inch each).
- Cook spam on stove top until slightly burnt on both sides. Mix mirin and soy sauce and glaze with spam.
- Insert saran wrap in the can that had the spam and place approximate ⅓ cooked rice in can. Take out saran wrap and mold the rice with the spam.
- Wrap with a strip of nori and serve.
- 2 cups White rice (supplied measuring cup)
- 1 can Spam
- 2 tbsp Mirin (rice wine)
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- Nori (dried seaweed) sheets