A HEALTHY CHICKEN AND RICE RECIPE
There’s just nothing better than a comforting bowl of rice, chicken and vegetables! That particular flavor combination is just plain good for the soul.
Heck, we’d say the only thing that might be better is if that marinated chicken recipe also happened to be healthy.
Well… standby, friends! Because not only is this steamed chicken and bamboo shoots recipe savory comfort food that will tick all your flavor boxes, it’s also packed with the lean protein your body needs to recover after a long day at school, work or the gym.
WHAT ARE BAMBOO SHOOTS?
Sure, you’ve probably tried bamboo shoots in one form or another – likely served in a delicious Chinese stir fry alongside other veggies and meat.
But it may surprise you that bamboo shoots are actually young bamboo plants (culms) that are super tender as they initially erupt through the ground.
Low in calories and high in B vitamins, bamboo shoots are boiled prior to consumption or canning.
Fun fact: bamboo shoots are called sun jian (笋尖) in Chinese – and take no ko (たけのこ) in Japanese.
But, whatever you call them, bamboo shoots lend a wonderful taste and texture to this rice cooker chicken recipe.
HOW TO STEAM CHICKEN IN A RICE COOKER
Your Tiger rice cooker isn’t just sitting on your kitchen counter to make perfect rice. Loaded with multiple cooking functions, it’s the perfect appliance to use when making rice AND this healthy chicken and vegetables recipe at the same time.
That seamless versatility can be chalked up to the tacook cooking plate in this case.
You see, when you place your rinsed rice and water in the inner pot of your rice cooker, you’ll also be loading your marinated and sliced chicken thigh and bamboo shoots into the cooking plate. Once both are placed inside the machine, you’ll simply use the Synchro-Cooking setting to simultaneously cook your chicken and rice.
It’s a time saving measure that results in deliciousness at the dinner table – and super easy after-dinner-cleanup.
Steamed Chicken and Bamboo Shoot
A healthy marinated and steamed chicken with young bamboo shoots recipe you can make from start to finish in your rice cooker!
- Slice the chicken into 2 ½ inch by ½ inch pieces. Slice the bamboo shoots along the fibers into 2 ½ inch pieces.
- Soak chicken and bamboo shoots in the marinade and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Drain and remove excess marinade and coat with starch.
- Layer the chicken and bamboo shoots alternately on the tacook cooking plate.
- Put the washed rice and water in the inner pot and place it in the rice cooker. Set the cooking plate in the inner pot. Select the [Synchro-Cooking] menu and press the [Start] key.
- When cooking is complete, place the dish on a serving plate and sprinkle chopped green onions.
- Serve the dish with shichimi on the side, as desired.
Ingredients below are for a 5.5-cup cooker.
- 2 cups White rice (supplied measuring cup)
- 4-5 oz Chicken thigh
- 2 oz Bamboo shoot (boiled)
- Starch as needed
- ¾ tbsp Soy sauce
- ½ tbsp Mirin
- ½ tbsp Sake (rice wine)
- ¾ tsp Sugar
- Green onion as needed
- Shichimi (seven-flavor chili pepper) as needed (chili powder can be used as substitute)