THIS OYSTER RICE BOWL MAY BE YOUR NEW FAVORITE RICE COOKER RECIPE!
We absolutely LOVE a good rice bowl. And, with the earthy umami elements from shiitake mushrooms alongside the saline, oceanic perfection of some good oysters, this Taiwanese rice recipe is full of big, bold flavors.
Now, although this oyster and mushroom rice bowl is more of a Taiwanese recipe, there are some pretty significant similarities to a Japanese rice recipe called kaki meshi.
But no matter what you call it, we think you’re going to love digging your spoon into this bowl of umami goodness. And since it’s so easy to prepare in your rice cooker, you’ll pretty much be cooking with the press of a button!
HOW TO MAKE OYSTER RICE IN A RICE COOKER
It should come as no surprise that your rice cooker makes perfect rice every time. However, your Tiger multi-functional rice cooker has a host of cooking presets that can handle anything from slow cooking soups and stews to making a delicious frittata for a lazy Sunday brunch.
Heck, calling them multicookers might be more appropriate 😃 Right?!
Anyway, much like this savory Creole style jambalaya – and this traditional Japanese takikomi gohan – we’ll be using the Mixed function to make sure that the rice, oysters and mushrooms are all perfectly cooked. And since all elements are cooked together, each and every bite of this Taiwanese oyster rice will definitely be flavor forward!
Once the cooking cycle is complete, top your rice bowls with chopped scallions for a garden fresh green crunch. We KNOW you’ll be wanting seconds.
Hey, there’s nothing wrong with that!
Taiwanese Oyster Rice Bowl
Dig into this delicious Taiwanese oyster rice bowl with abandon. Packed with the savory flavor of earth and sea, this is one rice recipe your family will want for dinner again and again. Bonus: it’s super easy to make in your rice cooker!
- Soak the dried shiitake mushrooms in water until they are soft.
- Shred the shiitake mushrooms and ginger.
- Place oysters and corn starch with some water in a bowl and mix. Rinse the oysters under water and drain. Sprinkle with salt and white pepper.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan, add shiitake mushrooms and ginger and sauté until fragrant.
- Put the washed rice in the inner pot and add the condiments and the chicken stock up to level 2 of Plain in the inner pot. Mix well and then add the oysters, shiitake mushrooms and ginger. Select the [Mixed] menu and press the [Start] key.
- When cooking is complete, mix gently and place the dish on a serving plate.
- Sprinkle with the chopped green onions.
Ingredients below are for a 5.5-cup cooker. Double the ingredients for a 10-cup cooker.
- 2 cups White Rice (with supplied measuring cup)
- 4 Oysters
- 1 tbsp Corn starch
- Salt a pinch
- White pepper a pinch
- 1-2 Dried shiitake mushroom
- 2-inch Ginger
- Vegetable oil as needed
- 1 4/5 cup Chicken stock
- 2/3 tbsp Soy sauce
- 2/3 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine
- 2/3 tsp Sugar
- Green onion for garnish