You’re absolutely going to love this Thai inspired tapioca pudding recipe. This gluten free dessert makes the perfect end to a delicious meal. Make it in your rice cooker with the press of a button!
Preparation 10 min
Cooking 20 min
Ingredients below are for a 5.5-cup cooker. Double the ingredients for a 10-cup cooker.
- 1 large Egg, whisked
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 ½ cups Canned coconut milk
- 1 cup Small pearl tapioca
- ½ cup Granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- In a bowl, mix the egg, olive oil, coconut milk, pearl tapioca, sugar, and honey.
- Pour the mixture into the rice cooker inner pot and close the lid.
- Choose the [Porridge] menu and set to 20 minutes. Press Start.
- Stir the mixture a couple of times while it cooks in the rice cooker.
- Once the cooking is done, check if the tapioca is fully cooked. If not, add more cooking time.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and serve into bowls.
WHAT IS TAPIOCA PUDDING?
Tapioca pudding is a sweetened pudding, typically made with milk or cream and tapioca pearls.
Now, we’ve skewed this recipe a bit towards the Thai flavor profile by jettisoning the typical dairy in favor of coconut milk. It perfumes the pudding with the essence of coconut, while still providing a luscious creaminess.
Vanilla extract, honey and a touch of sugar bring the sweetness home without venturing into cloying territory.
But the real star of the show – at least from a texture standpoint – is the tapioca pearls!
WHAT IS TAPIOCA?
Tapioca is the starch from the roots of the cassava plant. And while tapioca can be used in many forms (everything from a thickening agent to an ingredient in flatbreads and cakes) it is also commonly formed into opaque spheres called tapioca pearls (boba).
These pearls are then soaked until soft. The larger pearls are used in fruity drinks around Asia. We recommend using the smaller pearls in this tapioca pudding recipe.
And we’ve got a time saving kitchen-hack for you!
You see, when you use your rice cooker to make this delicious dessert recipe, you can totally skip the soaking of your tapioca pearls.
HOW TO MAKE TAPIOCA PUDDING IN A RICE COOKER
Here’s the easy bit! Simply mix all your tapioca pudding ingredients together and add everything to the inner pot of your Tiger multifunctional rice cooker.
When you select the Porridge setting and press the Start button, your work is pretty much done. A couple of times throughout the cooking process, just give the mixture a quick stir.
You and your family are surely going to want seconds of this thick, creamy and sweet dessert!
And check out these other easy to make rice cooker dessert recipes: