WHAT IS CHIFFON CAKE?
A traditional chiffon cake is a light and airy cake made with vegetable oil instead of fats that remain solid at room temperature, like butter. It also tends to get a pillowy soft texture from use of egg whites that are whipped until stiff.
HOW IS THIS TOFU CHIFFON CAKE DIFFERENT?
Well, we’ve got a little kitchen hack for this light and sweet rice cooker cake that breaks all the rules!
Instead of vegetable oil, we’re relying on silken tofu to work it’s magic during the cooking process.
And while it may sound strange, it produces a chiffon cake that has all the moist and soft properties of the original, while saving some calories in the process.
We think you’re going to love it!
HOW TO MAKE CHIFFON CAKE IN A RICE COOKER
Whisk your drained silken tofu until it’s smooth. Next whisk in everything except the pancake mix until you have a smooth consistency. Check the ingredients tab on this page for specifics.
Finally whisk in the pancake mix until fully incorporated and pour it into the inner pot of your Tiger multifunctional rice cooker. (Btw… pancake mix is a great alternative to plain flour because, from a flavor perspective, it just provides a little something extra).
You’ll only need around 40 minutes on the Slow Cook cooking preset for a chiffon cake that is pillowy soft and bursting with lavish flavor.
Now if your rice cooker isn’t the first kitchen appliance you think of when making dessert, we’d like the opportunity to change your mind! Check out these other indulgent and easy dessert recipes:
- Rice Cooker Cheesecake
- Fireside Hot Chocolate
- Japanese Sponge Cake
- Slow Cooker Peach Crisp
- Giant Rice Cooker Japanese Pancake
- Carrot Cake
Tofu Chiffon Cake
If you’re craving dessert, have we got a treat for you. This tofu chiffon cake has all the light and pillowy soft sweetness of the original – with an oddball ingredient that works some dessert magic!
- Spray the rice cooker inner pot with cooking spray.
- Quickly drain the tofu and place it in a bowl. Whisk the tofu until it’s smooth and add egg, milk, vanilla essence, and honey.
- Slowly whisk in the pancake mix and when the batter is smooth, add it to the rice cooker inner pot.
- Close the lid and select the [Slow Cook] function. Set the timer for 40 minutes and press start. Serve with fresh fruit and whipped cream.
Ingredients below are for a 5.5-cup cooker. Double the ingredients for a 10-cup cooker.
- 5 ½ ounces Silken tofu
- 2 Large eggs
- 100ml Milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar (or honey)
- ½ tsp Pure vanilla essence
- 200g Pancake mix