We love a good curry, especially on those days when we are too busy to cook an elaborate meal. Curries are easy one pot meals that pack a punch and satisfy our cravings for comfort food. This is a simple tomato curry recipe your whole family will love!
Preparation 15 minutes
Cooking 45 minutes
Ingredients below are for a 5.5-cup cooker.
- 2 large potatoes, peeled, and roughly chopped
- 1 15-ounce can whole tomatoes
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon powdered chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put all the ingredients in the rice cooker inner pot and crush the tomatoes using a large wooden or plastic spoon.
- Stir and close the lid.
- Choose the [Slow Cook] function and set the timer for 45 minutes. Press start.
- Serve the curry with rice and/or grilled vegetables.
While we absolutely love a classic Japanese curry with its thick demi-glace-like sauce and chunky veggies, we also have a soft spot for creamy Thai curries, and spicy Indian curries.
To put it simply – we love all curries!
The recipe for this tomato curry is very simple and can be tweaked to your liking so you get exactly what you want. And rather than being spicy, despite its bright red color, this tomato curry is sweet and tangy. It’s perfect for kids and adults!
How to Make Tomato Curry
- Rinse the rice in a rice washing bowl (do not use a regular strainer as the rice will fall through the holes), or put the rice in a bowl with a little water.
- Wash the rice in a zig zag motion using your fingers, until the water runs clear. Drain well.
- Add the rice to the rice cooker inner pot along with the remaining ingredients. Stir well and close the lid.
- Select the Slow Cook function for 45 minutes and press start. Enjoy!
- The potatoes can be easily swapped for another ingredient such as canned chickpeas, skinless boneless chicken breasts, or tofu.
- Or mix vegetables such as carrots, onions, potatoes, with a protein. The total weight of the ingredients should be around 20 ounces (about 565 grams).
- Add 1/4 cup coconut milk to add creaminess.
Other Curry Recipes You Might Like: