IS IT CALLED TUNA SUSHI? TUNA MAKI? TEKKA MAKI?
In Japanese, a sushi roll is called maki or makizushi – and is typically a fish or a vegetable wrapped in Japanese rice and dried seaweed sheet, then cut.
In this case, we’re using fresh tuna sashimi – sometimes referred to as tekka. Therefore this tuna roll is called tekka maki in Japanese.
But as long as it tastes good, we wouldn’t get too hung up on the name.
MAKE SUSHI RICE AT HOME
Now while it may not surprise you that your Tiger rice cooker makes perfect rice for all types of sushi, there are a couple of simple secrets to getting it right.
- Use the right rice… premium Japanese short grain rice to be exact (although medium grain rice is sometimes used as well).
- Flavor your cooked sushi rice with a trio of ingredients. You may have noticed that the rice used in the tuna maki at your favorite sushi restaurant has a bit more flavor than you’d get if you were using plain white rice alone. Add rice vinegar, sugar and salt (see ingredient amounts in the recipe tab) to deliver a balanced sweet, tangy and savory element to the rice that compliments the fish – and pairs well with wasabi and soy sauce. In short, these ingredients are used to give the rice in your your tuna roll a more well rounded and nuanced flavor.
And that’s pretty much it! With flavored sushi rice you can make anything from a cucumber roll to a California roll – and all things in between.
And if you’re wondering how to roll sushi – just check the step-by-step instructions in the Directions tab on this page.
Here’s to making delicious tekka maki in your own kitchen! 🙌💥 Itadakimasu!
Tekka Nori Maki (Tuna Roll)
Throwing a sushi party at your place? Make this iconic and delicious tekka maki (tuna roll) at home in a few easy steps!
- Place cooked rice in a container and add rice vinegar, sugar and salt. Mix well.
- Wrap bamboo mat with plastic wrap and have a bowl of water mixed with a little rice vinegar on the side.
- Lay a nori sheet with the shiny side facing down on the bamboo mat. Add 1 cup of rice to the center of the nori sheet and wet your fingers with vinegar water.
- Spread the rice using your fingers, evenly across the nori sheet.
- Thinly slice tuna (as long as possible)
- Place tuna horizontally on top of nori.
- Grab the bottom edges of the mat with your thumbs and hold on to the toppings with your other fingers.
- Roll into a tight cylinder and lift the edges of the bamboo mat to prevent it from rolling into the roll together with the filling. The mat should look like the letter C from the side as you roll forward. Keep rolling forward using a little pressure and let go when the roll is done.
- Cut the roll in half and then into thirds.
- Serve with soy sauce and wasabi.
Ingredients for sushi rice
- 3 cups cooked Japanese rice
- 40 ml rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
Ingredients for rolls
- 6-8 oz Tuna sashimi