WHY ADD PUMPKIN TO CHILI?
Everyone loves an easy chili recipe you can make at home with minimal fuss. However, that simple chili recipe better have a TON of flavor – or you’ll never hear the end of it 😂
Well, we’ve got a secret weapon for taking an already flavorful and piquant turkey chili up a few notches. And it isn’t what you might think!
Pumpkin puree delivers a roasted, nutty sweetness without overpowering the spicy, savory essence of a hearty chili. You see, it just amplifies the effect of the minced jalapenos, chili powder, cumin and tomatoes with a mildly sweet edge. Once you add other savory ingredients like chicken broth and ground turkey – you’ll have a well rounded flavor profile that will be a complete crowd pleaser.
We’re using both black beans and kidney beans which lend a ton of heft and texture to this meaty chili. And using ground turkey keeps it on the healthier side – so the attendees of your epic Super Bowl party can go for seconds (and thirds!) without worrying too much about their waistlines!
HOW TO MAKE CHILI IN A RICE COOKER
Now it may surprise you that you can use your Tiger rice cooker just as you would a slow cooker. With automatic settings for cooking all types of food, you’ll be sitting pretty on game day whether you’re craving BBQ pulled pork sandwiches or hearty Cajun meatballs.
For this delicious turkey pumpkin chili, simply add your pan-browned turkey (check the ingredients tab for specifics), spices, beans, tomatoes, peppers and broth into the inner pot of your multi-functional rice cooker. Once you select the Slow Cook function and press the Start key, you’re off to the races!
Top your chili with whatever you like best… We’re BIG fans of shredded cheese, cilantro, sour cream and avocado. But you know what YOU like. So go for it! 🍲
Gluten-Free Turkey Pumpkin Chili
We’ve got the perfect turkey pumpkin chili recipe your tailgating festivities on game day – or a cozy dinner with family and friends. And the best part is that you can make this slow cooker turkey chili in your rice cooker!
- Place olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat and saute onion, Anaheim chili or jalapeno and garlic. Stir and cook 2 minutes and then add in turkey to cook until brown.
- Add all of the spices (chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, cloves, salt) and mix with meat.
- Place meat mixture in inner pot of rice cooker and add the remaining ingredients (pumpkin puree, black and kidney beans, diced tomatoes, red bell peppers and chicken broth). Stir until well combined.
- Place inner pot in the rice cooker. Select the [Slow Cook] menu and set for 120 minutes. Press the [Start] key.
- Once cooking is complete, serve in a bowl and add desired toppings on top.
Ingredients below are for a 5.5-cup cooker. Double the ingredients for a 10-cup cooker.
- 1 lbs Ground turkey
- 1 Medium onion, diced
- 4 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Anaheim or jalapeno chili pepper (minced, approximately 1/3 cup)
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Red cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Ground cloves
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 ¾ cups Pumpkin puree
- 1 can (15 oz.) Black beans
- 1 can (15 oz.) Kidney beans
- 1 can (15 oz) Unsalted diced tomatoes or 2 cups of fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Sweet red bell pepper (chopped, approximately 1 cup)
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- Additional toppings for garnish: sour cream, minced cilantro, chopped avocado, grated cheese